possible to have login info embedded in URL

General help on how to use Cerberus. Questions on how a particular feature works, how to use feature x with feature y... Please read the "How to use this forum" article before posting.
andy_ftp
User

possible to have login info embedded in URL

Post by andy_ftp » Fri May 19, 2006 12:17 pm

Hello. Is there a way to include the login info into the URL so a person can just click (or type) a link into the IE address bar and get immediately introduced to the file or at least the folder? I'm talking about skipping the login window by just having the username and password embedded directly in the URL. It might look something like this (at least it did when I used a different program besides Cerberus):

ftp://xx.x.xxx.xxx:username:password

I searched the forum and the help file too and couldn't find anything to answer this, so I e-mailed y'all. You've created a great piece of software, by the way.

molk
Senior User

Post by molk » Fri May 19, 2006 12:40 pm

ftp://<username>:<password>@<ip_or_domain_name>

andy_ftp
User

Post by andy_ftp » Fri May 19, 2006 12:56 pm

Awesome, that worked for me. What about if I wanted to point directly to a file name and that would prompt an immediate viewing and/or download of a file that's on the root folder of that user's login.

Tornado
Senior User

Post by Tornado » Fri May 19, 2006 5:34 pm

Simply add the path at the end of the ftp command.
For example ftp://username:password@hostname:port/directory/download_this_file

andy_ftp
User

Post by andy_ftp » Mon May 22, 2006 12:58 pm

I can't seem to get that to work. How do I determine the right port to type in? Also is Cerberus able to interpret/handle the spaces in file names?

Tornado
Senior User

Post by Tornado » Mon May 22, 2006 3:38 pm

The port is determined by the FTP server. Spaces in URLs are never a good idea.

andy_ftp
User

Post by andy_ftp » Tue May 23, 2006 1:08 pm

OK, but do I use port 21, which is what the router is set to send all FTP traffic through, or do I use a port in the range of 1026-1418, which is what the router and the Cerberus server software are set to allow PASV FTP commands to go through?

Tornado
Senior User

Post by Tornado » Tue May 23, 2006 4:57 pm

Open Cerberus FTP Server and check the "listen port" on the right hand side. By default it will be port 21 unless you have changed it.
Probably 95% of discussion here is router related. Do a search for "router" and read some of the postings. Also check out the following sites.

http://www.mdjnet.dk/ftp.html
http://www.slacksite.com/ftp.html

andy_ftp
User

Post by andy_ftp » Wed May 31, 2006 3:19 pm

Its strange, I got this to work a few days ago, to where I could open the files directly from typing into IE a URL like this:

ftp://<username>:<passcode>@<IP>:<port>/FTP_ROOT/<DIRECTORY>/<filename>

But then starting yesterday, it doesn't work and today its still not working. IE says that the path does not exist.

Any ideas anyone?

Also, does anyone know how to make Cerberus server software startup immediately after a reboot of the computer without having to manually turn it on? For example, I have a server that is configured in the BIOS to restart immediately after a power failure. But I can't find anywhere in the configuration of Cerberus where the server software automatically brings the server back online after the computer is powered on. As far as I can tell it must be done manually by the server administrator.

andy_ftp
User

Post by andy_ftp » Wed May 31, 2006 3:39 pm

Sorry, nevermind I just figured out what I was doing wrong. I was including the drive letter (E:/) in the pathway, and apparently that's not what you're supposed to do.

But any help with the auto-restart would still be great.

mdj

Post by mdj » Wed May 31, 2006 5:56 pm

Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk