ftp not returning prompt when transfer finished

General help on how to use Cerberus. Questions on how a particular feature works, how to use feature x with feature y... Please read the "How to use this forum" article before posting.
digspeak
New User

ftp not returning prompt when transfer finished

Post by digspeak » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:47 pm

I am having a nightly pushdown to our web server thru our ftp. The company pushing the files down is complaining because it doesn't return a ftp prompt when finished. I thought it was the ftp server software I was using and as I was having problems with PASV after moving the server behind a firewall, I swapped to this ftp server software. Took care of my PASV issues but they still are not getting the ftp prompt. Any help as to how to make this happen when the transfer is finished? In my log it does say 226 transfer complete. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Serin
Site Administrator

Re: ftp not returning prompt when transfer finished

Post by Serin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:00 am

Hello,

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. By FTP prompt are you referring to the built-in Windows FTP client prompt? Can you provide a little more information on what you are looking for? Is the problem that the connection is terminated after the transfer and the user doesn't see the command prompt they expect?

Thanks.

digspeak
New User

Post by digspeak » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Yes the problem is that when the connection is terminated after the transfer, the user doesn't see the command prompt they expect? Will they get that since we are using ftp server software?

They are not using a ftp client also. They are issuing ftp commands

mdj

Post by mdj » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:51 pm

They will need to be using some kind of ftp client, possibly only the command prompt ftp client in Windows. Can you show us what the commands are, and how they are issued?
Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk

digspeak
New User

Post by digspeak » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 pm

This is what I have - they did a push last nite that did not work and this is the logfile from it - it is supposed to be in PASV mode and from what I can tell on this specific one they did not tell it to be PASV but I am not real familiar with the commands.

idx data push for jop log num 9.
spawn ftp -p 70.129.xxx.xxx
Connected to 70.129.xxx.xxx.
220-Cerberus FTP Server - Personal Edition
220-UNREGISTERED
220-Welcome to Cerberus FTP Server
220 Created by Grant Averett
Name (70.129.xxx.xxx:oracle): User010
331 User User010, password please
Password:
230 Password Ok, User logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> prompt
Interactive mode off.
ftp> bin
200 Type Binary
ftp> ver
Verbose mode off.
ftp> passive
Passive mode off.
ftp> lcd /usr3/excel/release/jop/data/5135
Local directory now /usr3/excel/release/jop/data/5135
ftp> put agents.txt
ftp> put offices.txt
ftp> mput idx_?.txt
ftp> lcd /usr3/work/jop
Local directory now /usr3/work/jop
ftp> put idxphotos.zip
ftp> dir
ftp> quit

Also this is the last message we received from the outfit sending - The programmer advised: When the command is ftp -p host, the -p puts itin passive mode. That has nothing to do with him blocking the dircommand. He also fails to return the ftp prompt after he gets the fullphoto file.

Not sure what he is talking about to - how could we be blocking the dir command?

Hope this helps - I don't get to talk with the actual programmer which makes it really hard.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:44 am

I'm still not sure what the problem is here. I don't see any error messages and your client is clearly getting the command prompt after the file transfer.

What does the quote below mean? Is the problem that directory listings never return in passive mode?
That has nothing to do with him blocking the dircommand
If that is the problem then has port forwarding for passive connections been done?

http://www.cerberusftp.com/faq/initialsetup.htm#Q2

Can you post a log file from Cerberus showing the file transfer? Maybe there is an error message there that can give us a hint as to what the problem is.