Mac Users Not Able to Download Files

General help on how to use Cerberus. Questions on how a particular feature works, how to use feature x with feature y... Please read the "How to use this forum" article before posting.
Ron Sherring

Mac Users Not Able to Download Files

Post by Ron Sherring » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:19 pm

My FTP is working fine for Windows Users but Mac Users can upload files to their computer but can not download to the FTP Server. They use the same account that Windows user log in to.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:07 pm

Please post the Cerberus FTP Server log file showing the problem.

idrocas

Download from MAC FTP Client doesn´t work

Post by idrocas » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:37 pm

Well I have the same problem with MAC OS only so I was looking for an answer but I still have no one, I really like to know if there is a solution or somebody knows why is this problem.
The real problem is next:
The FTP server works fine with any Windws based PC and any FTP client for windows (untill I know) but with the Apple MAC OS X - 10.X.X (I´m not working with MAC OS 9 or - but I think I can try sometime) and various FTP clients the downloads doesn´t work fine (the upload work is really fine), the problem when you download any file from Cerberus FTP server to a MAC is the attributes of the download file in the MAC OS, after you download the file it has the "NO ACCESS" attribute so you can´t read this file, but you can modify this attribute from the FILE INFO menu from "NO ACCESS" to "READ & WRITE", this is a possible solution, but the extrange process here is when you download the same files from Cerberus FTP server to a Windows based PC the file works fine, no restrictions or any like that.
Somebody has any ideas.
Rodrigo Castillo
Mexico

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:39 am

does the ftp-client on Mac side has a way to auto detect or define the server type ?

to be more explicit, here is an extract of totalcommander doc:

"Server type: Most public servers on the Internet are supported by Total Commander's 'autodetect' mode. However, many mainframes or Intranet servers use their own proprietary style of file listing, which isn't understood by Total Commander. This option allows you to use such servers. To configure a proprietary server, choose 'Define new type' and then connect to the server, if possible to a directory with many files and folders in it. You will then be shown a dialog box which allows you to configure the settings for this server. You can also import server types defined by others, by choosing 'Import from file'. Create your own definition file by defining a new connection through 'Define new type', save it, and then copy the section from the file wcx_ftp.ini to a separate file. The section may look like this:

[Unix1]
Template1=pppppppppp !S* TTT DD UUUUU n*"

List of definition characters (upper/lowercase is important!):

Name-specific characters:

n File name (nnnnnnnn means 8 letter file name, n* see definition of * below)

v VMS style file name: name.ext;1 or dirname.dir;1
. (a dot) Remove trailing spaces from file name and append further characters separated by a dot (e.g. nnnnnnnn.nnn), see PC-NFSD sample below.

Characters for date and time:
D Day
M Month
TTT Three letter month name (Jan, Feb, Mar, ...), supports English, German and French.
TTT=12 month names with 3 letters each
Allows the definition of foreign language month names. Example (polish):
TTT=stylutmarkwimajczelipsiewrzpa¥lisgru

UUUUU Unix-style year/time mix, e.g. either "2000 " or "20:30" in the same place
Y Year
h Hours
H Hours modifier letter (a - a.m. time, p - p.m. time)
m Minutes
s Seconds

Characters for other file attributes:
S Size
S=1024 Size multiplied with given value (here: 1024). Useful for servers which return the size in blocks.
p Unix style permissions (e.g. -rwxrwxrwx, defines user rights)

d dir flag, defines a directory if this char is D or d, e.g. part of text <DIR> or [DIR]
d=x dir flag, the char defining a directory is given behind the = (see VOS sample below)

Misc. characters:
* 1. After any numeric field: use all digits up to first non-digit character
2. For name field not at line end: use all chars up to next space
3. For name field at line end: use all chars until the end of the line
! Skip all characters until first space or end of line

$ Skip all spaces/tabstops until next character or end of line
\ Data continues on next line (max. 2 lines supported)
<space> Ignore character. Must not be at the beginning of a line, because Windows would delete all leading spaces!
- (dash) Ignore character. Use this at the beginning of a line instead of a space.
x Exaclty 1 space. If there is a different character at this position, ignore the whole line (e.g. to ignore lines above or below the file listing, which show the free disk space etc).

Sample definition strings:

1. AIX Unix server:
Sample listing:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 dso posgroup 2913 Mar 25 1999 .Xdefaults

drw-rw-r-- 1 dso posgroup 2913 Mar 25 13:30 subdir1
Definition string:

pppppppppp SSSSSSS TTT DD UUUUU n*

Or better:

pppppppppp !S* TTT DD UUUUU n*

Notes: The second definition is better because the owner and group names may be longer, moving the size string to the right.

2. PC-NFSD:
Sample listing:

prog1 exe 2,563,136 06-10-99 10:00a
temp <dir> 01-27-97 3:41p

Definition string:

nnnnnnnn.nnn dSSSSSSSSSSS MM DD YY hh mmH

Notes: The commas in numeric fields are detected automatically. This string gives an error of 1 for all directories because there is no size field, but errors up to 2 are ignored by Total Commander if there is no second definition string - otherwise the string giving the smaller error is used. The dot in the definition string removes the spaces in the name between prog1 and exe, and inserts a dot.

3. VOS (Stratus):
Sample listing:

w 10 seq 99-04-20 11:15:42 abbreviations
m 4 99-07-02 10:11:25 arsffs32

Definition strings:

- SSSSS YY MM DD hh mm ss n*
- d= SSSSS YY MM DD hh mm ss n*
Notes: This server has different lines for files and folders, so it needs 2 definition strings.

4. Unisys Clearpath:
Sample listing:

UCF/CONFIG/SAMPLE/TSA SEQDATA 1428 09/22/1998 18:37

FF990628/BD/0009942/0009943/000PRINT
BACKUPPRINTER 7200 01/01/2000 04:22
Definition strings:

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn SSSSSSSSS MM DD YYYY hh mm
n*\x SSSSSSSSS MM DD YYYY hh mm

Notes: This is an example of a server wrapping to 2 lines if file name becomes too long, so it needs 2 definition strings.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:50 pm

Hmm, your problem isn't really related to Cerberus FTP Server, but rather your FTP client. The client program is the one that is modifying the file for no access. That you can download the complete file from Cerberus is confirmation that the server is working fine. My guess is the client is trying to interpret the file permissions from the Cerberus directory listing. It really shouldn't be doing that, and I am sure there is a setting you can change.

maxg7761
New User

Upload from MAC Finder not possible

Post by maxg7761 » Mon May 09, 2005 10:15 pm

MAC OS9 and OS X do NOT support FTP upload through the Finder - thats the way it works (or should I say, does not work;). You must install a separate FTP client. I recommend the free "Cyberduck" FTP client for MAC... goodluck - Max