Limiting connections per IP

Additional features you would like to see added, changed, or removed. This forum isn't just for the Cerberus FTP Server application. Feel free to post suggestions for anything related to Cerberus (the website, this forum, ect.)

Limiting connections per IP

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:16 pm

I was wondering if it would be possible set the number of connections of IP addresses instead of just the users. For instance, for one user, set 2 connections for every IP address, and maybe for another user, only have 1 connection for every IP address. Would be great to have, what do you think?

i think so

Post by guest » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:57 pm

it's necessary

aamonster

Post by aamonster » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:32 pm

Up ;-)

Really users who download in multiple threads are great pain in the ass (at least in local network), so admin needs tool to kill them dead.

Maybe better opinion - limit quantity of simulateneous upload/download threads for ip, so user can download file in one thread and browse directories in other (it's better because browsers like IE often don't close ftp connections even when you close IE window - so if user visited ftp, he can't login again until idle time reached).

Tabris

Agreed

Post by Tabris » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:53 am

Yes but what about multiple connections to Anon, from different IP addresses ?

Re: Agreed

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:50 am

Tabris wrote:Yes but what about multiple connections to Anon, from different IP addresses ?
it's easy to add option item.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:29 pm

Well, my problem is that the same IP address is logging into my server 4-5 times just to hog up connections (I have a max of 6 connections so I can only have about 1-2 people actualy make use of my server). So, what I wanted was to limit to 1 connection per IP, or maybe 2. That way, more people can make user of my server.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:50 pm

Thanks, I will log it as a feature request.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:47 am

I'm also looking forward to this feature being implemented.

Another problem I have seen is that there are IP addresses who constantly with just a few seconds interval try to make a new connection (of which most connection attempts fail due to maximum number of connections reached). I've read that this is called hammering and that there are FTP servers that can automatically ban IP addresses who hammer. It would be a nice feature to have "anti-hammering" but if the feature with maximum number of connections per IP address is implemented I don't think it is that critical because then an IP address that hammer will not be able to steal all connections.

otsoroke
Senior User

Post by otsoroke » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:19 pm

S!

Kanji

Post by Kanji » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:20 am

I've found that when you set the connections to 1 you can't connect from the windows internetexplorer ftp thingy. i have it set to 2 per account

3dfx

Post by 3dfx » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:12 pm

this is a "must have" feture for this program.I have set up a FTP that everyone logs with the anonyouse account,and always some dumb-a$$hole makes 7 or 8 conectoins and kills the bandwith of the rest people :x

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:37 pm

Exactly why I posted this! People hog connections and it kills my bandwidth, which causes me to reset the server from time to time just for a refresher.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:44 am

I was hoping to see the feature in 2.22, is this feature planned for the next release?