Disk Quota function

Additional features you would like to see added, changed, or removed. This forum isn't just for the Cerberus FTP Server application. Feel free to post suggestions for anything related to Cerberus (the website, this forum, ect.)
Mick-X

Disk Quota function

Post by Mick-X » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Hello,

I've been using Cerberus for a while now.
I love everything about it, it looks good, is very fast, and a very stable program.

The function i would really like to see/have is a disk quota function per user.
So we can limit the diskusage per user, for example 10GB and as soon as you go over the 10GB in your directory then the storage will be denied.

Is there any progress on this? or can't it be implemented into the program?

Greetings,
Mick

Serin
Site Administrator

Re: Disk Quota function

Post by Serin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks, we are considering adding quotas for 5.0.

Jens Kirk
New User

Post by Jens Kirk » Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm

I really need the disk quota function. I cannot find it in version 5.0.3. I can see Max Upload Filesize but this is not relevant for me.

When do you think that this function will be implemented? :-)

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Thu May 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello Jens,

Cerberus FTP Server currently supports per user disk quotas for AD authenticated accounts only.

You can get disk quotas per user using Active Directory authentication and the built-in Windows Quota system.

Cerberus will automatically enforce the Windows Quota policy for Active Directory users when you use AD authentication.

We have setup instructions for using AD authentication here:

http://www.cerberusftp.com/support/help ... ration.htm

Disk quotas can be setup in Windows 2008 using these instructions:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 63561.aspx

Jens Kirk
New User

Post by Jens Kirk » Fri May 04, 2012 2:47 am

I don't use AD. Will Cerberus in the future support disk quota per user without AD?

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Mon May 07, 2012 8:34 am

It may, although implementing disk quotas for native Cerberus users is significantly more challenging and resource intensive for the server. We are considering it but don't have that feature scheduled for a release yet.

Jens Kirk
New User

Post by Jens Kirk » Mon May 07, 2012 9:03 am

Thank you :-)

If you do implement this we can use Cerberus professionally for web clients that can upload via their ftp login (with a GB limit on web storage).

rich123
New User

Post by rich123 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:46 am

Hi

Is there any update on Disk quotas (this is quite an old post)? This would be a really useful feature.

I suspect that most customers don't use Cerberus on the same VLAN as their AD accounts for security purposes so I am sure that many customers would benefit from quotas being added.

Thanks

tomas.cerny

Post by tomas.cerny » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:08 am

Hello,

could you please provide some information to this topic? I think this request is valid even for standard user accounts (those not mapped from AD).

We are using 2 FTP server installations within our company and lack of this function prevents us from using it more widely and in comfortable way. AD mapping may be a good feature in some scenarios, however not for 80% cases I think. The reason for having FTP server is usually to grant access to external subjects, who obviously don't have AD account. On the other way you need some mean to control, how much data (external) users store on your FTP .

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Jeroen
New User

Post by Jeroen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:51 am

Hello,

I am also curious about the disk quota function. We have chosen to store the FTP data directly on the fileservers, if i cant set a quota on the disk i risk a change of no space availabe on my fileservers.

Thanks.

Jeroen
New User

Post by Jeroen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:21 am

Hello Serin,

Can you please provide me an status update on this matter?
Thank you!

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:01 pm

We haven't implemented support for quotas yet. It is not on the current road-map.

FChauviere

Post by FChauviere » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:18 pm

I confirm that Disk quota is an urgent basic need and should be on your road-map as soon as possible.
Our need is relative (percentage of available diskspace) or absolute (diskspace pre-reserved) diskspace for each Group.
We're considering migrating to a new FTP Server that offers us this functionality.

TTA

Post by TTA » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:44 am

It's beginning to be an urgent matter right now. Implementing Disk Quota will prevent customers choosing an other FTP server.
For example Serv-U is a good alternative with support for disk quota. And it's a basic functionality so why can't you put this in? Isn't it important to hold on to your customers?

Telling us: "We haven't implemented support for quotas yet. It is not on the current road-map." is for me a way telling us: we don't care about you, we are only interested in our philosophies. It should be on top of your road map.

Please respond with a postive answer.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:03 pm

Hello TTA,

I'm sorry that you interpreted our response in that way. The fact that native user disk quotas aren't on our current road map for the initial 9.0 release wasn't meant as a message to our users that we don't care about them.

I understand that this is a very important feature for you, and for many other users. We get that, and we do plan on addressing native user disk quotas at some point. However, we get dozens of feature requests every month, and they are all very important to each user that requests them. We have limited resources and have to choose which features make it into each release. At present, two factor authentication, SFTP client transfers, email reports, admin audit logs, web client localization, native user impersonation, and a whole host of other user feature requests are higher up on the list for immediate implementation. Those features might not matter to some users, but they are critically important to others.

Native User Disk quotas have been planned and pushed back several times. That's an unfortunate reality of limited resources and prioritization. It's on our radar for 9.0, but it won't be part of the initial release so we aren't promising it at this time. We've noted your interest, and the interest in that feature by several other customers.

We do care about our customers, and we are constantly incorporating customer feedback into our products. Disk quotas will eventually be added as a new feature.