Install/Uninstall trouble

Think you've found a bug? Post a description here.

Moderator: Serin

gian

Install/Uninstall trouble

Post by gian » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:47 am

Hi!
I'm trying to install (on W2k) the newest version of Cerberus but,
due probably to a prior badly uninstalled version, the installer
looks for (I suppose) some old "CerberusInstall.msi" I have no more
and the latest seems not to be a good one:
"The File CerberusInstall.msi is not a valid installation package for the product Cerberus FTP Server" :shock:

The dowloaded Cerberus package works (it starts!) and the MS installer version is the latest one.

What may I do?

thanks in advance
gian

molk
Senior User

Post by molk » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:47 am

I do not have w2k but xp pro, but had a similar problem with another program, where the installer got corrupt somehow. It refused install and uninstall. I had to manually delete folder and references in regedit but still refused install or uninstall.

The solution for me with xp was to change settings so i could see hidden files and folders, (and system files and folders).

In c:/windows/installer (a hidden folder) i found my defective .msi file and could delete it manually. But it was a tedious job to go through all the msi files to find that programs msi file. But after deleting the corrupt .msi file and a reboot it worked. I could reinstall again and program worked flawless.

Perhaps something similar have happend to you?

gian

Post by gian » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:58 pm

[quote="molk"]I do not have w2k but xp pro, but had a similar problem...(cut).... I had to manually delete folder and references in regedit but still refused install or uninstall.
The solution for me with xp was ...(cut)[/quote]

Molk,
thanks for the reply...
Well, I ususally try not to edit the windows registry...in this case, since I haven't this cerberus hidden msi package (thanks for the hint: now I understand better the misteriously disappearing MBs in my C partition)...
I did it (few seconds ago)!!!
deleting the key:
HKCR\Installer\Products\0F187B9F1C0511D459C01070FF9499E0
I solved the problem!!!!!
In this key was specified the path to the old msi package...also the old uneradicable cerberus entry in the "Install/uninstall" window of the control panel disappeared and the new cerberus is warking fine! :D

thanks again and hope this can be useful for someone else :wink:
gian

iamyouasyouareme
New User

Post by iamyouasyouareme » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:25 pm

using the method/s you both posted hasnt resoved my installation problems.
ive deleted the msi files from the installer directory, deleted any registry references to cerberus, made sure i had the proper windows installer installed, redownloaded cerberus, etc.. repaired, uninstalled and reinstalled .net framework, etc.. wtf?
if you ask me, there appears to be a bug in the installation process of cerberus on win2k OSes.
are the developers going to do anything to resolve the problem, i wonder?
i havent seen any developers etc. post a reply to anyone having this problewm (and i did look)
there are around four other threads asking about this error with no useful answers (for me)

iamyouasyouareme
New User

Post by iamyouasyouareme » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:26 pm

just to be clear, im not bashing the devs, just wonder where any help is...

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:45 pm

Hey guys, I am currently working the issue with a few users over email. I'll post an updated installer once I figure out what the problem is. It does appear to only affect WIndows 2000 installations.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:34 am

Ok, I've figured out the problem on Windows 2000. The problem should only appear with Windows 2000 and NT4, but the fix is a little more involved than just fixing the installer. I will have to recompile and release a new version of Cerberus FTP Server. I've made several changes that I was planning on releasing in the next few weeks, but to expedite the Windows 2000 fix I will back most of those out and do some more testing. I should have a new version that fixes the install problem out by tomorrow night.

iamyouasyouareme
New User

Post by iamyouasyouareme » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:48 pm

thanks again fore the reply!

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:42 am

Ok, version 2.43 is online and should resolve the Windows 2000 installations issues. Give her a whirl and let me know.

iamyouasyouareme
New User

Post by iamyouasyouareme » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:36 am

success!
it has now installed without effort for me on win2k pro sp4!
you work is truly appreciated!

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:57 am

Happy I could fix the problem :)