Corruption of data during transfer from x64 PC

Think you've found a bug? Post a description here.

Moderator: Serin

TimAlsop
New User

Corruption of data during transfer from x64 PC

Post by TimAlsop » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:37 pm

I have two Windows PCs. One is running XP SP2 and is normal Intel x86 based. The other is AMD64 and running Windows XP x64 Edition.

From the x86 PC I can transfer an executable to my Cerberus FTP server and then transfer it back again - both as binary. The file I get back can then be executed.

If I try the same test on the x64 PC the download of the file to the PC in binary works, but the exe does not run. I therefore suspect a corrupted file download due to some problem with ftp between x64 client and Cerberus FTP Server.

The Cerberus FTP Server is running on a 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003.

When I get the file using ftp command I see the following message :

ftp> get file.exe
200 Port command received
150 Opening data connection
> .\Tmp30A.tmp:Too many links
226 Transfer complete
ftp: 8 bytes received in 0.06Seconds 0.13Kbytes/sec.
ftp>

Is this a bug in the x64 ftp client ?

I tried with IE7 ftp client on x64 PC and got same problem - e.g the file downloaded would not execute after the download.

I know the upload is working ok because I can always run the binary on the ftp server after it is uploaded.

Any ideas ?
Tim

molk
Senior User

Post by molk » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:15 am

Assuming you have a dualcore setup my question is: Does this also happens after running the dual core processor patch?

TimAlsop
New User

Post by TimAlsop » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:18 am

molk wrote:Assuming you have a dualcore setup my question is: Does this also happens after running the dual core processor patch?
I was not aware of such a patch. The system is actually quad core - does this make a difference ?

Can you also show me where I can download the patch you mentioned ?

TimAlsop
New User

Post by TimAlsop » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:21 pm

Were you referring to a Windows patch related to Duel Core, or a patch for Cerberus FTP product ?

My Windows XP x64 where I am running ftp client is single core AMD64 system. The Server where Cerberus FTP is running is Intel Quad Core.

Please advise how I can find this patch - I cannot see anywhere on your website to download patches.

molk
Senior User

Post by molk » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:11 am

The patch mentioned is for dual core processors,the quad version I haven't checked out so far. There is patches both for amd and intel processors. Further details and versions of patches see at AMD and Intel websites.

TimAlsop
New User

Post by TimAlsop » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:29 am

molk wrote:The patch mentioned is for dual core processors,the quad version I haven't checked out so far. There is patches both for amd and intel processors. Further details and versions of patches see at AMD and Intel websites.
I am a bit confused - My server where Cerberus FTP is running is working very well and hosting many apps, and is using a Quad Core CPU. Also, FTP is working very well between a 32-bit XP client and this server, but not when I initiate the FTP transfer from a PC running XP x64 using IE or ftp command line tool. The PC running XP x64 is single core, not dual or quad.

I am therefore not convinced that any patches to server will fix a problem which is clearly only occuring when I use 64bit client software. I am reluctant to apply any patches to server as server is working very well otherwise. Can you explain why you think a server patch will fix this problem ?

TimAlsop
New User

Post by TimAlsop » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:52 am

I have checked Intel and AMD websites and cannot find any patches which would be relavent to work in my environment or apply to this problem. I am therefore not understanding which patch you are referring to and why you think it will solve my corruption problem. Can you explain your reasoning ?

The server running with Intel Quad Core CPU is running with latest chipset drivers and drivers from motherboard vendor and is working very well otherwise. As I mentioened earlier, the client is not dual or quad core.