Active Directory and LDAP options disappear

Think you've found a bug? Post a description here.

Moderator: Serin

ironpossum

Active Directory and LDAP options disappear

Post by ironpossum » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:10 pm

I've been using Cerberus FTP Server (v 3.1.0.2) for about 36 days so far and last night I suddenly couldn't access my server (set up to do SSL and authenticate through active directory). After troubleshooting my domain controllers, DNS, and finally Cerberus, I discovered that in the user configuration menu my only options are "users" and "groups" - "AD Users" and "LDAP Users" simply didn't exist on the left-hand menu anymore. This wasn't just visually missing, since authentication would fail. After many server reboots, Cerberus restarts and re-installs, I had to delete all local appdata THEN reinstall it. I then reconfigured the server and everything works great. In hindsight I wish I saved the local appdata so I could compare the files and see where it got corrupted, but I didn't. So... I fixed it, but I have no idea what caused it.

*note*
While it was in the failed state, the menu to enable SOAP had the options of "enable web administration" and "use HTTPS" grayed out and un-checked. I thought that was odd, too... since I did have SOAP enabled and the server running as a service (as it is NOT grayed out now that I have a clean install).

Serin
Site Administrator

Re: Active Directory and LDAP options disappear

Post by Serin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Hello,

Were you running a licensed version of Cerberus FTP Server Professional? Cerberus FTP Server runs as the Professional version for a 30 day trial when you first install it if you select a commercial license option during the Getting Started Wizard. After 30 days it reverts to the Personal edition which does not include Active Directory, LDAP, or web administration. You need to purchase a Professional license if you wish to legally use those features after the 30 day evaluation period.

Or, you can freely use the Personal edition if you are using it for personal use only.

ironpossum

Post by ironpossum » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:03 am

Serin,

I was using the personal-use license from the beginning. Also, I think I was able to successfully use AD to log into my server prior to day 36, but after day 30 (still investigating the timeline of initial failure) - since it's running as a service, would it require a server restart to lock out those features? I had rebooted my server just prior to this ceasing to work.

Also could you explain again what is or is not a feature of the personal edition? You seemed to say that AD, LDAP, and SOAP were only part of the commercial license, but then said I can freely use personal edition for personal use, which is a little confusing. Also, assuming that AD, LDAP, and SOAP are not available using the personal license - is it a bug that I selected personal edition during initial install, but I was still using the features of the 30 day commercial trial? Shouldn't those features be disabled as soon as I select the personal license?

Lastly, it may seem odd that I would have AD for personal use (not commercial), but I assure you it is for personal use.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:36 am

Hello,

The feature lockout wouldn't necessarily start until you restarted the server. The feature list is normally evaluated at startup, though the GUI would update to remove the panels from the Server Manager immediately.

The Personal Edition feature list is here:

http://www.cerberusftp.com/products/

SOAP access is available in all editions but web administration is only available in the Standard edition or higher.

If you selected Personal edition during the Wizard then it should have acted as the Personal edition immediately and not doing so is a bug. However, selecting a commercial license just enables the 30 day trial. It will just revert the Personal edition after the 30 days.