Unable to Connect to a Cerberus Server vis Port 22 SFTP/FTPS

This forum is for anyone experiencing problems related to their firewall settings. More specifically, anyone experiecing connection issues should take a look at this forum.
stargazerm31
New User

Unable to Connect to a Cerberus Server vis Port 22 SFTP/FTPS

Post by stargazerm31 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:24 am

Hello all,

I am having inssues connecting to a Cerberus FTP Server. The standard FTP works fine on port 21. I am using FileZilla and IE 7 to try and connect via SSL.

When connecting to port 22 via SFTP, I cannot connect. The Cerberus Server gives the following information:

Jun 21 03:44:11 22 Incoming Connection requested on interface 192.168.19.1
Jun 21 03:44:11 22 Connection request accepted from 192.168.19.1
Jun 21 03:44:31 22 Error closing connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
Jun 21 03:44:31 22 Connection terminated

To make sure it is working FZ and Cerberus are on the same machine. The windows XP firewall is turned off.

Settings on the Cerberus server are for that IP is Listening socket: 22, Requires Secure Control and Secure Data.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

John

stargazerm31
New User

Re: Unable to Connect to a Cerberus Server vis Port 22 SFTP/FTPS

Post by stargazerm31 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:45 pm

I have posted on FileZilla. They have been responsive. They have guided me that we are working with SFTP. If I understand things correclty SFTP uses Port 990 and 998 and not 20 and 22 as FTPS uses. It is my understanding is that there needs to be either a private or public key. I don't see how this interacts. Cerberus only creates a .pem cert which (if I read it right) is for Email.... FileZilla doesn't understand it.

I would think there would be more details in Cerberus on setting up SFTP. It says when I configured the server that SFTP is on, but how does anyone use it?

I don't see it in any documentation. I would think that a large portion of your IT folks setting this up are novices and need a little more documentation.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Have a great weekend and a great Fathers Day for you fathers.

John

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Hello,

I'm guessing you are referring to Secure SSH and not implicit FTP over SSL. Cerberus FTP Server does not yet support Secure SSH, only explicit TLS/SSL over FTP.

If you are simply referring to connecting using TLS/SSL over FTP then running through the Getting Started Wizard and making sure TLS/SSL is selected and generating your self-signed certificate (or substitute your own, real certificate) should be sufficient for Cerberus.

From Filezilla you would open the Site Manager and create a New Site.

For the newly created site you just need to enter the host and select the Servertype parameter as

FTPES - FTP over explicit TLS/SSL

to connect securely.

stargazerm31
New User

Post by stargazerm31 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:24 am

Thank you that was it.

I appreciate your help.

John