FTP Server File DL Slow Thru Router

This forum is for anyone experiencing problems related to their firewall settings. More specifically, anyone experiecing connection issues should take a look at this forum.
joel.brown
New User

FTP Server File DL Slow Thru Router

Post by joel.brown » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:21 pm

The FTP server is behind a WRV200 Linksys router. It's setup in the DMZ and users get to it fine. But the file download speed won't go any faster than 128kb. It seems like there's some sort of limit somewhere but I can't find it. When downloading files from computers on the same local net as the FTP server it flies. Looked through the router configuration and don't see anything limiting it. Anyone seen this ?

My upload rate from the server to the internet is 2.5mb/s.

joel.brown
New User

Re: FTP Server File DL Slow Thru Router

Post by joel.brown » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:37 pm

I doubled checked it today and the local ethernet connection is also not any faster than 128kb.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:34 am

Hello,

What OS are you running on? Try turning off "Use Optimized File Sending" from the Advanced page of the Server Manager.

joel.brown
New User

Post by joel.brown » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 am

It's running on XP SP3. It's also running as a service. When I killed it as a Windows Service this morning and started it normally the local LAN connection went from 128kb to 1.88mb. I'm waiting to see if the WAN connections are any better now.

joel.brown
New User

Post by joel.brown » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 am

WAN connections are still at 128kb coming thru the router. I've turned the Optimized File Transfer on and off. Later this week I'm going to try another FTP server program and see if it works the same thru the router. If it's the same then it's not the software.

joel.brown
New User

Post by joel.brown » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:14 pm

I installed another FTP server program and it runs at over 400 KB/s compared to the 128 KB/s in your software. It's not the hardware or connection at this point.

This was a trial version that went for more than 60 days before being purchased. I entered the licence into the software and even rebooted the computer. Should I have re-installed ? Is there a limit in the trial version for download speed ?

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:41 am

Hello Joel,

Unfortunately, certain combinations of non-server operating systems, slow hard drives and higher network latency can negatively affect transfer performance for some people. Most users don't have this problem but a few do and we are working on ways to optimize the transfer process for those few machines that do experience it.

In addition to turning off "Optimized File Transfer" on non-server operating systems, adjusting the send and receive buffer size should allow you to better tune performance for your machine. You can try making them smaller or larger and seeing what performance you get.

joel.brown
New User

Post by joel.brown » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:40 am

I've already tried adjusting send/receive buffers and it had no effect.

Non server OS ? What are you using in an FTP server program that a server version of Windows only provides ? I'm talking about handling one user at more than 128kb. Other FTP server software on this machine doesn't have this issue. It's not the OS, hardware, or connection.

Forget it, I just want my money back and I'll leave.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:58 pm

There are actually several network APIs that Microsoft provides for efficient file transfers that only work on or work best on Windows Server operating systems. However, I won't waste anymore of my time or yours discussing those. I wasn't blaming the OS, hardware, or connection for the problem only mentioning that certain configurations can present issues for the way Cerberus FTP Server currently performs file transfers. It is a Cerberus limitation that affects a small number of users.