Problem with Listing of huge directory...

Think you've found a bug in a BETA version of Cerberus FTP Server? Post a description here.
ghost_zero

Problem with Listing of huge directory...

Post by ghost_zero » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:58 pm

Hi,

I have the problem, that if I want to list a really huge directory (which contains: 3747 files, and 578 directories) it takes some time until I can really get a listing, I believe that I need to make one time a listing request, then wait some time and then again make listing request to get the listing, but from then on, it will go really fast...

I know that this directory is really extremely huge... but
for Windows it is possible to have listing nearly immediatally... it would be nice, if it would also be possible with the Cerberus FTP Server...

Can somebody tell me if this is a bug, and/or if it can be made that it will be that fast like in Windows?

I hope it is possible and that it will get implemented...

Can somebody at least answer me here, if this will get done or not?

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:04 pm

Are you using version 2.2 BETA 3? There was a change that can result in significantly slower listings for huge directories. The reason is because Cerberus now attempts to get the owner and group for each file and directory for display in a command prompt listing. This process significantly slows down file listings. I will add a swith to disable the feature in the next release of Cerberus.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:51 pm

yes I am using 2.2 Beta3...

ghost_zero

Post by ghost_zero » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:53 pm

last post was from me...

I am using the beta because I had some speed (not listing speed, I mean the download or upload speed) problems with 2.16... which were fixed with Beta3...

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:49 pm

Yes, BETA 3 enables "Optimized file transfers" by default. The setting was present in the 'Advanced' tab of version 2.16, but it was disabled by default.

ghost_zero

Post by ghost_zero » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:20 am

I now tested old v2.16 and yes... there I don't have the problem with directory listing...
BUT the file transfers are also with optimized file transfers a bit slower than with Beta3... (20% less network usage or maybe more)

ghost_zero

Post by ghost_zero » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:21 am

(... or even more (than 20%) network usage less)

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am

Hello,

Is it possible you didn't restart the server after changing the optimized transfer setting under 2.16? A restart was required for that version, but not for the new BETA.