Never-Expire passwords expiring

Questions dealing with specific FTP clients and Cerberus FTP Server.
pbutcheck

Never-Expire passwords expiring

Post by pbutcheck » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:19 am

We have a handful of vendors user accounts. We configured their password to NEVER EXPIRE and configured their 'Disable Date' to Never.

With these settings, we expect our vendors to log in and retrieve the files we are sending. This is something we do several times a week, every week.

But I've noticed a trend that the vendor accounts are expiring. At first, I thought our newest employee may have disabled the account manually. Then I thought someone was resetting the password but failing to update our internal logs (so that we know what password is being used). I rationalized the few problems away as human error.

But after stringently updating my team and working on this matter; I have found one of the vendor's accounts not working last night. It was our vendor, and when I checked his User Profile, he password was still set to NEVER expire, his profile was not disabled... everything was as it should be. But neither I nor the vendor could connect to the FTP account. Like the previous events, Cerberus confirms that the USER ID and/or Password are not valid. (The user ID is valid - confirmed what the vendor was using).

This appears to leave only the password as the problem. And despite setting it to never expire, it seems that after a few months, these passwords are expiring.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or settings that could be affecting our User Profiles and possibly over-riding the User Settings? Or is there an overriding password limit that disables accounts despite the User Profile settings?
Example: I know the Policy is set that Password is required to change every 180 days - but does the USER settings of "never expire" ignore this Policy? Or does the Policy override the User setting?

Serin
Site Administrator

Re: Never-Expire passwords expiring

Post by Serin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Hello,

What version of Cerberus FTP Server are you running? Are you on the latest 8.0.0.9 release?
But I've noticed a trend that the vendor accounts are expiring.
Why do you believe it's a password expiration issue? Do you see something related to that in the Cerberus log when the user tries to login? What, exactly, does the Cerberus log say when a problem account tries to login?

It does't really sound like the log is specifically saying the password has expired.
Like the previous events, Cerberus confirms that the USER ID and/or Password are not valid. (The user ID is valid - confirmed what the vendor was using).
This makes it sound like the server actually thinks the password is incorrect.

Lastly, are the problem accounts native Cerberus accounts, Active Directory, or LDAP accounts?