Cerberus FTP server

Questions dealing with specific FTP clients and Cerberus FTP Server.
tinyau

Cerberus FTP server

Post by tinyau » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:55 am

Hi everybody,

Both my friend and I have setup a FTP server by Cerberus FTP server.
We have a same Internet Service provider, and both us are using WIN XP service pack 2.

I use zonealarm firewall, and he uses WIN XP sp2 's firewall with a netgear router.

Our internet is 1.5 Mbps for download and 600kbps for upload

He has a problem that the upload rate from my computer to his server is 400kbps only and download rate is only 70kbps.

However, he could have 1.5 Mbps download rate from my server to his computer, and upload rate is 600kbps.

1 week before, he used War FTP Daemon 1.7 beta and he could have 1.5 M and 600kbps rate. Since we don't know how to config that ftp, so we changed to use cerberus.

May I ask how could solution this problem ?

Thanks
Tin

mdj

Post by mdj » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 am

I don't quite understand, how you can get 1.5Mbps, if you both have the same connection type. Download for one is upload for the other, so there will always be a bottleneck somewhere at 600Kbps. 400Kbps sounds reasonable with a 600Kbps connection, you will never get the full theoretical speed. BUT 70Kpbs is too little. However, there is a known bug in Cerberus, that could be causing this. (Known meaning the effect is known, but the bug itself has not been identified yet.) Have you tried to switch on "Optimized file sending"? (Server administration -> Advanced) That might also be the reason.

Don't expect any more than around 400Kpbs though - unless I have misunderstood the description of your connections.
Morten Due Jørgensen
http://www.mdjnet.dk