Windows 2000 Pro Install Problems *RESOLVED*

General help on how to use Cerberus. Questions on how a particular feature works, how to use feature x with feature y... Please read the "How to use this forum" article before posting.
FTPNation
New User

Windows 2000 Pro Install Problems *RESOLVED*

Post by FTPNation » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi, I'm running a new installed Windows 2000 Pro SP4. No other software is installed. Setting is that the system always boots with administrator account. No user login.

Troubles start using the self extracting exe archive which states that the entry point (or whatever) to a dll can't be found. Extracting its content manually the msi install file installs the ftp server fine. But then the ftp server can't read settings nor save settings. The starting assistant starts every time I load the server even after having finished it. When I use the stop button to shut down the server I also get an error message.

I've tried both manners installing as a service and as normal program to run manually. I've always used a new installation of the OS to avoid interference of the installations. But both times the same errors occur.

Any suggestions what the reason for the errors is? Do I need an installation of any special additional programs?
Regards, FN.

Serin
Site Administrator

Re: Unfortunately I've got errors galore

Post by Serin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 am

Hello,

The DLL entry point problem is probably related to the self-extracting installer software and not the actual server. However, I've never seen that problem before and I'm guessing it is Windows 2000 Pro specific.

Do you see any specific errors as to why the settings can't be saved or loaded? It's either a permissions problem (common on machines when running Cerberus as an application after running it as a service) or an MSXML problem. Check the permissions on the C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Cerberus LLC\Cerberus FTP Server directory and the files within.

Otherwise, make sure the latest version of MSXML 3 or 6 is installed on the workstation.

Note, we only test on Windows Server 2000, not Windows 2000 Pro. If I have time I will try to load an old Windows 2000 Pro workstation and see what happens.

FTPNation
New User

Luckily the error problem is solved

Post by FTPNation » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi Serin,
thanks for quick reply.

It was the XML thing. I've installed Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 and from that on all went fine. Reading and saving of settings/data is no longer no problem. Both modes do work (service or program mode). Also pressing the red stop button doesn't cause no error any longer.
Does the ftp server use special dlls of the XML services or what was the origin of the errors?

(Sure the failure of the self extracting archive is no flaw of the server. But I just liked to let you know that it does not work proper in W2K.)

Now I'm going to dig the functions of the server. Thanks again.
Regards.

Serin
Site Administrator

Re: Windows 2000 Pro Install Problems *RESOLVED*

Post by Serin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:47 pm

No, the server doesn't link to special version of the DLLs. The server will look for either MSXML 3 or MSXML 6 for reading and writing XML. I'm guessing neither was installed or there was something wrong with the install.

I hope you don't mind, but I changed the name of this topic. It's a good post for anyone else with Windows 2000 Pro problems and the change will make it easier to find.

Thank,

FTPNation
New User

Post by FTPNation » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi, just an addition regarding the fact that the CerberusInstall.exe does not work in Windows 2000 SP4.

Running the exe it displays an error stating that it can't find the entry point to the function HeapSetInformation in the Kernel32.dll. This is due to that it originally does not exist in Windows 2000 but Windows XP. But MS has created a hotfix named KB 816542 thus enabling Windows 2000 to provide the HeapSetInformation function. MS offers a download of the hotfix for sending your email address. If you don't like sending your email address to MS then you've got to chose the Updaterollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4. It's a big package containing several hotfixes including the hotfix providing the HeapSetInformation function.

(Additionally also the 'Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable' has to be installed. The installer exe asks for it although the included .msi file works fine if you unpack it manually).

Regards.

Serin
Site Administrator

Post by Serin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Ah, thank you for the additional information. It should be very helpful to anyone experiencing this problem.